Is sea moss considered shellfish?

Carrageenan, or Irish moss, is not seafood. It is a red seaweed that is used as an emulsifier, stabilizer and thickener in many foods, such as dairy products. It's safe for most people with food allergies. Shellfish allergy is sometimes confused with iodine allergy because shellfish are known to contain the element iodine.

Carrageenan, or Irish moss, is a red seaweed. This food product is used in a wide variety of foods, especially in dairy products, as an emulsifier, stabilizer and thickener. It seems safe for most people with food allergies. Carrageenan isn't related to seafood and doesn't need to be avoided by people with food allergies.

Technically, you can eat or apply sea moss to your skin even if you're allergic to shellfish. Seaweed, such as sea moss, does not contain fish protein, which is the most common allergen in shellfish allergies. However, if you have a shellfish allergy, you should use sea moss with caution and consult your doctor first. Iodine, which is present in large quantities in sea moss, may even be recommended for certain forms of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), as well as for certain chronic respiratory conditions in children.

I have visited Instagram-worthy places where sea moss is grown for human consumption, only to refuse to buy their algae due to infrastructure problems and water quality problems. People who sell sea moss often overlook household runoff, but the impact of human faecal matter on waters can be catastrophic. Sea moss gel is an excellent all-natural alternative to pharmaceutical creams for allergies, eczema, dermatitis, and a wide range of other skin conditions. I suggest that consuming sea moss, since you believe it caused the reaction you described, regardless of how well you felt afterwards, deserves further medical advice.

The light flavor of sea moss, mixed with finely grated green papaya, roasted peanuts, Kong Kang and a little Vietnamese mint, was something I really liked. However, an allergy to sea moss, or more broadly speaking, an allergic reaction to seaweed is a possible thing. While science is increasingly supporting the benefits of sea moss, its effects on allergies have yet to be studied.

Leave Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *